Seven West Media is a dynamic and evolving business and we are growing our Digital team with this exciting new role. Over the past few years the team has built websites and products from the ground up and made a significant impact to the business and ways of working within the company.
We are looking for a talented Devops Engineer to join our Digital development team to create, support and improve the systems we use to deliver news to Australians (including The West, PerthNow, 7NEWS, The Game, Community News plus 18 regional sites) and associated internal tools and products deployed on AWS.
As a Devops Engineer at Seven West Media you will get the opportunity to work with cutting edge development tools and methodologies, and support a team and codebase which ships to production multiple times a day. Prior AWS and infrastructure as code (Terraform, CDK, Pulumi, CloudFormation etc.) is beneficial along with traditional web and network system administration, but experience with other cloud providers, Devops cultures, scalable backends and CDNs are encouraged to apply.
You’ll get to work with a tech stack which services up to 1.45 million unique users a day. This in itself requires great infrastructure and software. It’s not easy, but the skills we’ve gained are invaluable and transferrable. Not to mention the people on our team come from many different industries and all contribute something unique.
You will get to:
- Work with mature CI/CD platform that has branch deploys
- Write infrastructure code alongside the actual code that runs the services/products
- Collaborate with the development team on infrastructure and production decisions
- Contribute and release code as an open source package under the group wide open source policy
- Blog about work publicly, build your personal profile using problems solved at work
- Work in an autonomous team, trusted to make decisions around technology and direction from leadership
- Use a wide range of AWS services in production, including Lambda, DynamoDB, SQS/SNS, Fargate (ECS), all deployed using infrastructure as code (Pulumi).
- Use TypeScript throughout all Node.js and React.js projects
- Use GitHub for source control and GitHub actions for CI
- Merge to master and deploy to production automatically
- Continue to evolve our infrastructure and deployments to enable Blue/Green or Canary deployments, A/B testing etc
Our team offers opportunities to learn, experiment and grow and are eager to hire engineers with experience using infrastructure as tools and promoting a Devops culture by collaborating with and supporting the development team.
We welcome diverse perspectives and are looking for people who value learning, collaboration, experimentation and continuous improvement. In this position you will have the opportunity to expand and improve your skill sets while contributing to the delivery of public facing and internal news products.
We are looking for someone who:
- Has a strong passion for automation and infrastructure as code
- Has experience managing Linux systems in AWS or another cloud platform
- Is keen to embrace new paradigms such as containers and serverless
- Focuses on fundamentals and tries to understand the why
- Is keen to learn as well as share their knowledge with team members
- Is not afraid to ask for help
- Has interest in the continuous improvement of themselves and their team
- Is motivated by the prospect of solving business problems with technology
- Is highly collaborative and thrives in a team environment
- Free parking onsite
- On-site café, 2 minutes' walk from the Digital team
- Gym included
- Great friendly supportive team with tech leads / managers who have been developers previously
- Hack days
- IT & Digital Sundowners
- Lunch-time clubs (like our Maker’s Club)
Applications close 26 May 2021 unless the position is filled sooner. For enquiries contact Jake Ginnivan firstname.lastname@example.org.