Seven West Media is the leading listed national multi-platform media business based in Australia. We comprise Channel Seven, The West Australian, The Sunday Times and associated Perth metro and WA regional newspapers.
Based in our Geraldton office and reporting to the Mid West Editor, the opportunity is open for a graduate journalist to join a dynamic team covering a wide range of news in a diverse and evolving city and region. You will dive into an exciting news patch where you can cut your teeth and develop your journalism skills. You will be working across two mastheads, the Geraldton Guardian and Midwest Times, which publish three times a week.
Tertiary qualifications in journalism or a similar field are required.
Essential to the role are strong writing and communication skills, a nose for sniffing out news, and a talent for hard work and team work. The successful applicant must be highly motivated and bring a positive attitude to the team. You must be confident in taking photographs and filing news for our online platforms.
Key responsibilities of the position include:
- Gathering and writing original news stories for publication in print and online platforms;
- Developing positive relationships with key people and organisations;
- Breaking news stories and create engaging content;
- Contribute to news planning meetings and liaise with the Mid West Editor regarding story development;
- Interviewing and photographing subjects confidently and professionally;
- Be flexible and willing to give a variety of rounds and editorial tasks a go; and
- Representing the Company in a professional and courteous manner.
To be successful in this position, you will have:
- The ability to work under high pressure and be flexible with work hours;
- Good interviewing and communication skills;
- A sense of urgency and focus on deadlines;
- A valid driver’s licence;
- A passion for local news (with an interest in government-focused news desirable); and
- Existing skills or a strong desire to upskill with digital production and social media promotion.
Applications close on June 21 2021 unless the position is filled sooner.
If you feel you are suited to this role, please apply by submitting your written application including a covering letter outlining why you are interested in this position and what you can bring to the role as well as a resume detailing your qualifications and experience.
For enquiries, please contact the Mid West Editor at email@example.com or (08) 9956 1031.