Seven West Media is the leading listed national multi-platform media business based in Australia. We comprise Channel Seven, The West Australian, The Sunday Times and associated Perth metropolitan and WA regional newspapers.
This could be the opportunity tailor made for you – a role to develop and harness your journalism skills which could set you on the path for a rewarding and never-dull-for-a-moment career.
Based in Geraldton, this position gives you the opportunity to scratch your news itch. You can uncover untold stories, dig deep into a variety of yarns and live and work in a fascinating part of WA.
In Geraldton, you have the best of both worlds. A thriving and diverse regional port city, that also still has a country feel, and the opportunity to tell city-driven stories as well as agricultural, mining and outback yarns.
This could be the perfect opportunity to take your journalism career to the next level and be part of an energetic, dynamic and hard-working team that thrives on breaking news.
You will be reporting to the Mid West editor and working across two mastheads, the Geraldton Guardian and Midwest Times, which publishes three times a week. Both publications have a wide distribution area, with editions reaching the Gascoyne, outback towns in the Murchison, farming towns, and emerging tourism hot spots along the Coral Coast.
This role is open to a reporter with some previous journalism experience or a graduate with confidence and skill who can hit the ground running with some guidance.
Essential to this role, is the ability to work independently and as a team player, a keen news sense, strong communication and written skills, positive attitude, an ability and willingness to hone investigative skills and a tenacity for getting to the bottom of a story. You will be required to cover a wide range of rounds, ranging from hard news to community yarns and features. You must be confident in taking photographs and filing news for our online platforms.
The ideal candidate will have tertiary qualifications in journalism or a similar field.
Key responsibilities of the position include:
- Gathering and writing original news stories for publication in print and online platforms;
- Developing positive relationships with key people and organisations;
- Pitching story ideas to team news conferences and to the Editor;
- Breaking news stories and create engaging content;
- Interviewing and photographing subjects confidently and professionally; and
- Representing the Company in a professional and courteous manner.
To be successful in this position, you will have:
- The ability to work under high pressure and be flexible with work hours;
- Good interviewing and communication skills;
- A sense of urgency and focus on deadlines;
- A valid driver’s licence;
- A passion for local news and
- Existing skills or a strong desire to upskill with digital production and social media promotion.
If this sounds like you, apply now or contact email@example.com to discuss further.