Seven West Media is a dynamic and evolving business, in the past few years our Digital team has built entire websites and products from the ground up and made a significant impact to the business and ways of working within the business.
We are looking for a talented Engineering Lead to join our Digital development team to lead the technical strategy for our high-traffic consumer news sites (including 7NEWS, PerthNow, The West and The Game plus 18 regional sites) as well as associated internal tools, products and external vendor integrations.
As the Engineering Lead you will having your finger on the pulse of the latest software practices, have a passion for working on large and often complex solutions. You will need to be curious, solution-orientated and have a proven track record of technical leadership, design and architecture working on complex systems.
You’ll get to drive the strategy of a tech stack which services up to 1.45 million unique users a day, and a team which ships to production multiple times a day on serverless infrastructure. This in itself requires great infrastructure and software, it’s not easy, but the skills we’ve gained are invaluable and transferrable. Not to mention the people on our team come from many different industries and all contribute something unique.
Some of the kinds of work you’ll get to do include;
- Develop code with the backing of a mature CI/CD platform that has branch deploys
- Write infrastructure code alongside the actual code that runs the services/products
- Company wide open source policy allowing open source contribution and release of code as an open source package
- Ability to blog about work publicly, opportunity to build personal profile using problems solved at work
- Team autonomy, trust to make decisions around technology and direction from leadership • Using a wide range of AWS services in production, including Lambda, DynamoDB, SQS/SNS, Fargate (ECS), all deployed using infrastructure as code (using Pulumi).
- TypeScript throughout all Node.js and React.js projects
- GitHub for source control / collaboration with GitHub actions for CI
- Merge to master deploys to production automatically
Our team offers opportunities to learn, experiment and grow and are eager to hire developers who are excited to work with React. Strong prior experience with AWS, React and TypeScript is required, and a proven track record in a technical lead role.
We welcome diverse perspectives and are looking for people who value learning, collaboration, experimentation and continuous improvement. In this position you will have the opportunity to expand and improve your skill sets while contributing to the delivery of public facing and internal news products.
We are looking for someone who:
- Is a strong technical leader with a focus on architecture, design and delivery for scalable, reliable platforms
- Can understand the business model and strategy and help drive pragmatic technical decisions that align with business goals
- Is passionate about fostering quality engineering practices including peer review and automated testing
- Has experience in designing for security and knowledge of authentication frameworks • Is self-motivated and driven to make positive change
- Is keen to work closely with an agile delivery team, using the latest web technologies, to stamp their own mark on the organisation
- You will:
- Lead a small team of site reliability engineers and testers, and provide technical leadership to the development team
- Work closely with GM Technology, Software Development Manager and Product Managers to set technical strategy
- Be responsible for reliability, availability and supportability of the digital publishing stack
- Be excited about a hands-on role working heavily with AWS, OIDC / JWTs, React, NodeJS, SPA, Pulumi
- Mentor the development and site reliability teams
- Free parking onsite
- On-site café, 2 minutes' walk from the Digital team
- 24 hour on-site gym access included
- Great friendly supportive team with tech leads / managers who have been developers previously
- Remote & flexible working options, we have a family friendly environment with people starting at different times of the day
- Hack days
- IT & Digital Sundowners
- Lunch-time clubs (like our Maker’s Club)