You may have heard of us, but did you know Seven West Media (SWM) is not only the top news, sports and entertainment brand in WA, we are a group of diverse, creative and inclusive team members that love what we do. We are here to connect with millions of Western Australians every day, and we aim to give our audience, clients and team the best experience. We comprise of brands including Channel Seven, The West Australian, The Sunday Times, thewest.com.au, PerthNow, 7plus, and thegame.com.au.
We are on the lookout for two hungry reporters with a strong appetite for chasing news. The first role would be ideal for a candidate with 1-3 years of previous journalism experience as the role entails helping to guide a newsroom of young and dynamic reporters. The second role would be perfect for a graduate journalist looking to kick start their journalism career.
If you can’t choose between the beach and the bush, city or the outback, the good news is - you won’t have to! Geraldton offers the best of both worlds, catering to your professional and lifestyle needs and offering an impressive range of cafes, shops and entertainment options and a rich array of stories, characters and diverse and important issues to report on.
Based in our Geraldton office and reporting to the Mid-West Editor, these roles will have you covering a range of news for the Geraldton Guardian, which publishes twice a week, additional to our free weekly paper, the Midwest Times, and our expanding digital platforms.
The successful candidate will possess the following qualities:
- A tertiary qualification in journalism or a similar field;
- Ability to work under pressure, meeting strict deadlines and flexible with work hours;
- A talent for hard work and team work, with a motivated and positive attitude;
- Strong interviewing, communication and written skills;
- A passion for local news, current affairs and a strong news sense;
- A strong desire to upskill with digital production and social media promotion; and
- A valid driver’s licence.
About the Role
No day will be the same in these roles. You could be covering the police beat, the courtroom, local and State politics or telling community-driven and feel good stories. You could go from writing about farming, mining and fishing to people profiles and entertainment pieces and perhaps some sport. The role will enable you to partake in tasks such as:
- Breaking news stories and creating engaging content;
- Gathering and writing original news stories for print and online platforms;
- Developing positive relationships with key people and organisations;
- Contributing to news meetings, liaising with the Editor on story development;
- Interviewing and photographing subjects confidently and professionally; and
- Representing the Company in a professional and courteous manner at all times.
About the Benefits
- Salary sacrifice packaging
- Flexible and hybrid working arrangements
- Some relocation expenses covered
- An employee Perks program, health and wellbeing support program and more
- Access to company car for work purposes
- Exclusive access to local events
Join us at Seven West Media and be a part of our success story. To apply simply click the ‘Apply Now’ button and follow the prompts to submit your resume and any supporting documents. Please note, only applicants who have current and valid Australian work rights can apply.
Apply now and join us behind the scenes at one of Australia’s most prominent media companies to let your talents shine.
SWM is an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace.
SWM does not accept any unsolicited agency resumes and will not be responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
For more information visit www.sevenwestmedia.com.au