You may have heard of us, but did you know? Seven West Media (SWM) is not only the top news, sports and entertainment brand in WA, we are a group of diverse, creative and inclusive team members that love what we do. We get to connect with millions of Western Australians every day, and we aim to give our audience, clients and team the best experience. We comprise of brands including Channel Seven, The West Australian, The Sunday Times, thewest.com.au, PerthNow, 7plus, and thegame.com.au.
Based in our Katanning office and reporting to the Great Southern editor, this is a fantastic opportunity for a journalist to join a hard-working team covering the full spectrum of news in a region rich in stories. You will be working primarily on the Great Southern Herald, a weekly newspaper which has been keeping its readers informed since 1901.
This is the ideal steppingstone for a budding journalist, providing an opportunity to make a well-rounded start in your profession, while getting you in the door at WA’s leading media company. Critical to the role are strong writing and communication skills, a nose for news, and a good work ethic. The successful applicant must be highly motivated, independent and passionate about journalism.
You will cover a wide range of rounds, from hard news to community-driven stories and sport. You will also take photographs and file stories for our online and print publications.
About the role
- Gathering and writing original news stories for publication in print and online;
- Developing positive relationships with key people and organisations;
- Breaking news stories and creating engaging content;
- Interviewing and photographing subjects confidently and professionally;
- Liaising with the Great Southern editor regarding story development; and
- Representing the company in a professional and courteous manner.
- The ability to work under high pressure and be flexible with work hours;
- Good interviewing, communication and writing skills;
- A sense of urgency and focus on deadlines; and
- A valid driver’s licence.
About the Benefits
- Opportunity to be part of a leading media company with a commitment to quality journalism;
- Contribute to shaping the narrative of the Katanning community;
- Work in a vibrant and collaborative environment that encourages creativity and innovation;
- Salary sacrifice packaging and a paid parental leave policy;
- Flexible working conditions;
- An employee Perks program, health, and wellbeing support program and more.
Join us at Seven West Media and be a part of our success story. To apply simply click the ‘Apply Now’ button and follow the prompts to submit your resume and any supporting documents. Please note, only applicants who have current and valid Australian work rights can apply.
Apply now and join us behind the scenes at one of Australia’s most prominent media companies to let your talents shine.
SWM is an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace.
SWM does not accept any unsolicited agency resumes and will not be responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
For more information visit www.sevenwestmedia.com.au